The Fulbright programme offers a supplementary Occasional Lecturer Fund which enables foreign Fulbright scholars visiting the US to accept guest lecturing invitations at colleges and universities.
The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) provides travel awards through the Occasional Lecturer Fund (OLF) for visiting Fulbright scholars to:
- Share their specific research interests;
- Speak on the history and culture of their countries;
- Exchange ideas with US students, faculty and community organizations;
- Become better acquainted with US higher education; and
- Create linkages between their home and host institutions.
To be eligible, you must be the recipient of a “basic” Fulbright New Zealand scholar award (ie. not a short-term travel award) or a participant in the Fulbright Scholar-in-Residence programme, and be in the US for a period longer than three months.
Scholars receive US$250, US$500 or US$750 depending how far their current host institution is from the institution they are visiting on their OLF award and travel must be more than 75 miles to qualify:
- between 75 and 499 miles – US$250;
- between 500 and 1999 miles – US$500; or
- 2000 miles and above – US$750.
- Scholars must go to a college or university in the United States and its surrounding territories, including Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands and Guam. They may not use an OLF to attend conferences or go to other institutions outside these areas;
- The scholar is eligible to participate in one trip to one participating institution. In addition, the scholar may apply to receive a second award as long as the second award is toward a trip to a Minority-Serving Institution. A complete list of Minority-Serving Institutions (MSI) can be found on the OLF website. Thus, the total number of awards may be two if one of those trips is to an MSI;
- The scholar may visit several institutions in the area of their visit, but will only be compensated for one trip;
- The scholar is responsible for purchasing an airline ticket or arranging some other means of transportation, such as a train, bus or rental car;
- The scholar will receive the award payment after the Occasional Lecturer Fund visit is completed.
- To apply for an award, the visiting scholar must submit an OLF application to CIES at least one month before the visit is to take place a formal letter of invitation from an institution, in which the institution indicates the dates of the Occasional Lecturer Fund visit and the lecture topic;
- CIES will inform the scholar whether or not the Occasional Lecturer Fund Travel Award has been approved within four weeks of receiving the application.
For further information, see the CIES website or contact our Programme Manager for your Fulbright award.